Programs and Resources
PAD has a growing bank of programs, workshops, packages and brochures for different audiences. All programs and resources have been researched and tested with the appropriate audience and are consistently reviewed and updated unless noted otherwise. Whether a program is delivered directly by PAD staff and associates through a training workshop or presented in a package form for use by local and regional health and education professionals, it is our intention to work with you to make our materials most useful to you and your intended audience.
Peer Education Programs
Programs follow a youth-to-youth delivery model, with high school students delivering programs to students in younger grades. PAD associates provide a one or two day peer educator workshop and peer educator manuals. Professional training and delivery assistance is available.
- Challenges, Beliefs and Changes (CBC) – a peer education program to assist the transition to high school and address decisions about alcohol and other drugs.
- What’s with Weed – a secondary school peer education program to address problems with marijuana use.
- Get READY – a peer education program delivered by high school students to younger students for making decisions about the drugs they are most likely to encounter in the next years.
Youth Engagement Programs
These programs have been developed in conjunction with specific youth audiences following a youth engagement model; program packages are available for use by those who work with youth in different capacities.
- PASS It On (Peer, parties And Senior Students) – a program package for senior high school students to develop a health promotion campaign for safer partying
- Taking Charge: Young Women, Alcohol and Sexual Assault – a program package to increase awareness of the issue of sexual assault among underage drinkers and increase peer and parent support
- Hook Up to Breast Cancer Prevention – a program package and website to help young women, ages 16-24 increase awareness about the risk of breast cancer related to alcohol and other lifestyle factors and develop health promotion messaging for their peers.
- YM² (Young Moms to Young Moms) – a program package and website to empower young pregnant and parenting women to increase their self-confidence and make important decisions about alcohol and other drugs.
- Whats with Weed (WWW) – a DVD and website to help youth understand the issues associated with problematic marijuana use and consider strategies to avoid, reduce or prevent problems; see also What’s with Weed Peer Education Program.
Resiliency-Building Programs and Resources
These programs and resources aim to increase the capacity of parents and communities to support young people’s ability successfully handle life’s challenging situations.
- SFPY (Strengthening Families for Parents and Youth) – a program manual, implementation package and professional training for Strengthening Families for Parents and Youth, 12-16; see SFPY website.
- SFF (Strengthening Families for the Future) – professional training for Strengthening Families for the Future, 7-11
- Resiliency Brochure – a brochure for parents to help teens deal with life’s stresses
- Model for Raising Resilient Youth – a poster that explains the concept of resiliency for youth and parents.
- Exploring Resiliency Beyond the Individual – Theory, Framework, Programs and Application – a webinar slide presentation reviewing the definition of resiliency and expanding the perspective to include environmental and societal influences
Resources for Youth Audiences
- Test Your Alcohol I.Q. – a brochure for teens to assess their knowledge about alcohol and emphasize key facts.
- Party Safely – a booklet to give youth strategies for safe party outcomes.
- For the Record – a video and guide to help youth examine issues around safe drinking and to develop strategies to reduce their risks.
- More than a Hangover – a presentation to help youth learn more about alcohol poisoning and how to reduce risk of alcohol poisoning.
- If You Are a Girl – a brochure for young women with information about alcohol specific to females.
- Hook Up to the Facts: Young women and breast cancer preventions – a booklet on the essentials about breast cancer and breast cancer prevention.
- Young, Pregnant and in Control: Making Healthy Choices for You and Your Baby – a booklet to empower young pregnant and parenting women to increase their self-confidence and make important decisions about alcohol and other drugs.
- Whats with Weed (WWW) – a website to help youth understand the issues associated with problematic marijuana use and consider strategies to avoid, reduce or prevent problems.
Resources for Parent Audiences
- An Early Start – a booklet for parents to help their young children avoid problems with alcohol and other drugs.
- Building Resilient Youth – a brochure for parents with practical tips for helping Your teens make healthy choices.
- Parent Action Pack – Stats, Facts and Talking Points about Alcohol and Other Drugs – a booklet and website that helps parents understand how youth think and behave and prepares them to have meaningful conversations with their teens.
- Parent & Community Handbook [updated 7th edition] – a handbook with information about teenage substance use and specific facts about more than 15 drugs and drug categories to help adults provide guidance to the youth in their lives.
- Question and Answers: Parents and Teens – a brochure to address common concerns about teen alcohol and other drug use.
- When You Have Concerns – a brochure that addresses parental concerns about a teen’s use of alcohol and other drugs and gives suggestions for navigating their teen’s stage of substance use.
- Young Women, Alcohol and Sexual Assault: Why Mothers are the Last to Know – a brochure to help mothers understand the facts about alcohol and sexual assault in order to open up a discussion on the topic with their daughters.
- Young, Pregnant and in control – Making healthy choices for you and your baby.
- Caring Women’s Brochure: Is a teenage girl you care about at risk for breast cancer? – a pamphlet to inform mothers about the link between lifestyle risk factors among young women and the increased risk for breast cancer.
Resources for Professional Audiences
- Alcohol and Breast Cancer Connection (2018)
- Youth and Drinking: Is There Evidence To Support Low-Risk Drinking Guidelines For Youth (2012) – an online forum to discuss the low risk drinking guidelines application for youth.
- Emerging Issues in Youth Substance Use: Distinguishing Evidence and Hype (2012) – a webinar slideshow presentation and recording.
- Exploring Resiliency Beyond the Individual: Theory, Framework, Programs and Application (2011) – a webinar slideshow presentation.
- What’s with Weed Research (2009):
- Strengthening Families for Parents and Youth Report (2011) -a community initiative to adapt an evidence‐based model for implementation with families of at‐risk youth.
- Hook Up to Breast Cancer Prevention Evaluation (2010)
- Taking Charge Report (2008) – a consultative project with young women, professionals and parents to develop resources to increase awareness, prevention and support.
- Test Your Alcohol I.Q. – a background document for the print resource
- Teens, Partying and Alcohol Poisoning – a background document