Board Member, Parent Action on Drugs (PAD)
Parent Action on Drugs is a registered charity with over thirty years’ experience in addressing concerns about alcohol and other drug use among youth in Ontario. We provide innovative, evidence-based programs and resources for youth, families, professionals and community members concerning issues that impact substance use and youth. For more information on Parent Action on Drugs, please see our website:www.parentactionondrugs.org.
The role of our Board of Directors is to provide governance to the organization, identify and monitor strategic priorities, set agency policies and determine innovative ways to promote, expand and support the fulfillment of our mission. PAD values the different perspectives, knowledge, skills and interests that each Director brings to the Board.
PAD is looking for dynamic individuals wishing to make a key contribution to a small organization that operates as a major player in youth substance misuse prevention throughout the province.
We are looking for Board Members with diverse backgrounds and experience. Knowledge and experience in the area(s) of health promotion, education, youth services, human resources, accounting, fundraising and marketing are of particular interest. Previous experience with not-for profit organization management and/or Boards is also an asset.
Board Member responsibilities include:
- Regularly attend board meetings and important related meetings. Board meetings typically take place in North York at a location on the Yonge subway line and easily accessible by highway.
- Make serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
- Stay informed about the organizational operating environment, committee matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and Board documents.
- Participate in fund raising for the organization and make a personal donation to the organization in an amount that is meaningful to you.
Desirable attributes and skills:
- The ability to work on a team and participate in Board discussion
- The ability to work alone i.e. to take on and complete work between meetings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of health promotion, adolescent development, addictions and prevention
- Previous non-profit board experience preferred
Time commitment required:
- This work is largely based on the individual’s initiative and commitment but is expected to be approximately 4 to 6 hours per month.
What we offer:
- A chance to make a real impact with a small, overachieving charitable organization
- An opportunity to use and/or grow professional skills
▪Please apply by email with Curriculum Vitae and letter of interest by November 1, 2015 to Diane Buhler, Executive Director, (firstname.lastname@example.org), citing “Board Director Recruitment” in the subject line. You may also contact Diane if you have any questions.
▪Candidates of interest will be invited to have an initial telephone interview with the Executive Director, followed by an additional interview with members of the Nominating Committee.
Application deadline is December 31, 2015.